Wednesday, October 9, 2013

I made it!

Sunday I had breakfast with my brother, Bill, and his family in California, then I drove my rental car to the airport, turned it it and went to catch my flight.  I had a lot of flying ahead of me!  I flew from LAX to Dallas, then from Dallas to Santiago, Chile, and from there south to a small town called Puerto Mont, and then the final leg from Puerto Mont to Coyhaique.  Over 24 hours of travel!!  I arrived at the NOLS base at about 6 pm on Monday.  It was very quiet since virtually everyone had gone home for the evening--but I did find a room that had been set aside for me in the small building called the "Nido" (which means nest in Spanish).  The Nido made of bales of hay and then covered with stucco.  I'm staying in the room called "El Condor."  The weather here is pretty cold still since it is early spring.  There have been some strong winds and little sprinkles of rain off and on.  The last two days I have been resting up from the travel and connecting with quite a number of friends that work here whom I haven't seen in two years.  It is good to be here!

Flying over Patagonia:  These are the mountains in the south near Coyhaique.


This is the "Nido."  I'm in the room on the right.  "El Condor."

No comments:

Post a Comment